Re:Proposal for non-normative example section (Was: RE: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?)

"Jeffrey Yasskin" <jyasskin@hotmail.com> wrote on 10/24/01 2:38:55 PM:

>So nobody really understands the spec, even on this list. How much less
>likely is it that a beginning developer will understand it?
>
>There should be a non-normative section of CSS3 (and CSS2.1) giving
>techniques for table-less layouts. Two important cases are: the one
>discussed here, centering stuff vertically and horizontally; and 2- and
>3-column-based layouts. Then the editors of CSS will be able to see
>whether CSS is a feasible replacement for tables. If CSS requires much
>more code or harder-to-read code than a table-based layout, CSS needs to
>be reconsidered.
>
>Jeffrey Yasskin

I understand the spec, Jeffrey.  I understand completely that CSS 2 fails to
provide a mechanism to perform the kind of vertical centering I have described.
 What I _don't_ understand is _why_ it doesn't.