Proposal for non-normative example section (Was: RE: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?)

So nobody really understands the spec, even on this list. How much less
likely is it that a beginning developer will understand it?

There should be a non-normative section of CSS3 (and CSS2.1) giving
techniques for table-less layouts. Two important cases are: the one
discussed here, centering stuff vertically and horizontally; and 2- and
3-column-based layouts. Then the editors of CSS will be able to see
whether CSS is a feasible replacement for tables. If CSS requires much
more code or harder-to-read code than a table-based layout, CSS needs to
be reconsidered.

Jeffrey Yasskin