Re: How is it possible to devise such a feeble system?

on 10/24/01 1:04 PM, Jesse McCarthy at mccarthy36@earthlink.net wrote:

> Chris, I think you would be best served by first clarifying your own mental
> model.
>
> CSS does not "know" anything.  CSS is a language for instructing the user
> agent
> what to do.

Yes, i agree.

> The user agent knows the width and height of the viewport.  Using
> CSS, you can instruct the user agent to format elements such as HTML and BODY
> to assume the entire width and height of the viewport.

My first reaction would be that you couldn't but i can't say i've ever spent
any effort looking into it before myself. After a few quick tests it seems
that it takes both elements set to height:100% to get the body (which it the
containing box that we are concerned with)

[body 100%] http://placenamehere.com/temp/bodycheck2.html
[html 100%] http://placenamehere.com/temp/bodycheck3.html
[both] http://placenamehere.com/temp/bodycheck4.html

and from this point we are stuck, as you mentioned below.

--
name://chris  aka://10sball http://placenamehere.com