Re: "inline" elements in CSS2 box model, and "inline-block" in CSS3

From: Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 02:26:16 +0000
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org, css2-editors@w3.org
On Wednesday 17 October 2001 11:28, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
|   * Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   >Therefor, I would like to propose to include (*backport* from CSS3) {
|   >display: inline-block; } in CSS2 specifications.
|   >It should speedup adoption of "inline-block" by 2-4 years, as
|   > manufacturers of mainstream browsers, realistically speaking,
|   >can add support for it within 1 year.
|
|   Why does this property need to be defined in CSS Level 2 in order to be
|   supported? Adding new features through errata is in general not a good
|   idea.

As it's pretty well known, there is none browser on our planet
supporting CSS1. (I mean, *all* of CSS1, without any bugs)
And CSS1 was introduced ...yehh, in 1996.
So it seems none will support [all] CSS2 until early 2005 or late 2004...
But I hope Mozilla will make 1.0 *release* in 6-9 months from now, so most
likely they would be able to start adding features again in 6-9 months.
If we get it now in errata, there are very high chances that Mozilla will
pick it up.
But if it's part of CSS3 only, and CSS3 is not yet a standard - chances are
very low that Mozilla will pick it up.

As about Konqueror - I guess it can be added rather easy to Konq, just with a
few lines of code.
But unlikely Konqueror developers will agree to add some features to KHTML,
which are not part of W3C specs.

I have no idea on Microsoft position on this, though.

BTW: this construction, "inline-block", is quite important for correct
layouting.
Current CSS2 layout definition for "vertical" block placement is badly
defined and misleading.
Adding "inline-block" will clarify this (a little bit :-) and make  confusion
smaller.

In particular, HTML export filter from word processors should benefit greatly
from writing blocks as "inline-block", instead of writing unnecessary tables.
--
Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)