Re: list style suggestion

Stuart Ballard writes:
> Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> >
> > >li { display: table-cell }
> > >li:before { content: counter(...) }
> >
> > I am not sure how user agents shall handle this case. HTML user agents
> > may ignore this declaration and authors should not define such rules.
> > HTML controls nesting of different display-role and display-mode
> > settings but other document languages might have a different structure.
> > I think user agents should ignore a 'display: table-cell' unless the
> > element is a child of some 'display: table-row' element, no?
>
> I thought that CSS defined that a table-cell element without a
> containing table-row would "imply" a containing table-row, and a
> table-row without a table would "imply" a containing table.

Yes, that's correct.

But there is a qualification in the CSS2 spec: it is not necessary to
apply this feature to HTML in order to claim conformance. However, it
seems reasonable that for XHTML the conformance requirements are those
of XML, and thus tables should be fully supported, including the
generation of an implied table-row, when only table-cells are given in
the document.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA