Re: For specific opacity properties (was Re: Opacity 0-1: Bad Idea?)

Etan Wexler wrote:

> The specification should stipulate that a specified value of
> 'transparent' for a border color computes as 'black' for the border
> color and as 0 for the corresponding border opacity property.  (What
> happens if a border opacity declaration conflicts?  Is the effective
> opacity value 0 or the one from the opacity declaration?)

If it follows the example of border-style: none, a border color of
transparent will not affect the specified value of opacity, but
will merely force the computed value of opacity to zero.

Thus if I specify
  element {
     border-style: solid;
     border-color: transparent;
     border-opacity: 0.5;
  }
  element:hover {
     border-color: blue;
  }

<element> will have a 50% opaque blue border on hover and a
transparent one otherwise.

> My suggestion for the name of the text opacity property is
> 'foreground-opacity'.

If that does not include border opacity, I suggest content-opacity.