For specific opacity properties (was Re: Opacity 0-1: Bad Idea?)

From: Etan Wexler <ewexler@stickdog.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:07:01 -0500
To: Web style list <www-style@w3.org>
Chris Lilley wrote:

> Andy wrote:
>> I'd personally like to see separate control over text opacity[...]
>> Indeed I can see that ideally one would define:
>> background-opacity, text-opacity and border-opacity
> Yes.

I'm glad that there is some support within the W3C for this good idea.
 Opaque text with a semi-transparent background is a useful
combination and is seen regularly in printed materials and on
television.  Any overlay of text on images cries out for the text to
have a semi-transparent background.

> So for CSS3 it makes sense to be able to control the background
> as one can with the background color, and also the border opacity as
> can with border color (problem though, would we need
> and all that stuff too) and the text color opacity (color-opacity?).

An opacity property for each of the four borders is desirable.  The
property 'border-opacity' can then become a shorthand like

The specification should stipulate that a specified value of
'transparent' for a border color computes as 'black' for the border
color and as 0 for the corresponding border opacity property.  (What
happens if a border opacity declaration conflicts?  Is the effective
opacity value 0 or the one from the opacity declaration?)

My suggestion for the name of the text opacity property is
'foreground-opacity'.  Should this property affect replaced content?

Should we add 'outline-opacity'?

> Note that the introduction of opacity on background requires
> of ther color of the canvas before the roor element is painted. In
> we went for white.

I feel strongly that the color of the canvas is an issue best left
between consenting adults and their user agent of choice.

Etan Wexler