Re: display="none", but is copied

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:59:38 -0500
To: Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
cc: Einar Westermann <einar.westermann@trygdeetaten.no>, www-style@w3.org
> IMHO text in "display:none" and "visibility:hidden" should not be copied to
> clipboard.
> Users expects to copy only the things he has on rendered page.

How far do we go with this?  How is "visibility:hidden" really different
from "color: white; background-color:white;" for text from the point of
view of copying and pasting?  (And no, "the latter appears when
highlighted is not a good argument -- the former could be made to appear
when highlighted as well).  I agree that display:none is different since
it does not alter the visual presentation of the page, but with
visibility:hidden it _looks_ like there's something there, so no copying
anything could be a little confusing.

I would think that it's up to the browser to pick a consistent model for
handling all these weird cases and stick with it...

Boris
617-864-9910
We are all agreed that your theory is crazy.  The
question which divides us is whether it is crazy enough
to have a chance of being correct.  My own feeling is
that it is not crazy enough.
                                     -- Niels Bohr