Re: New Working Draft published: CSS3 module: Color

From: Tantek Celik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 14:34:54 -0800
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Mon, Mar 12, 2001, 11:59 AM

> * Tantek Celik wrote:
>>From: Dylan Schiemann <dylans@yahoo.com>
>>Date: Thu, Mar 8, 2001, 5:32 PM
>>
>>> Regarding the X11 color keywords, I have to ask why
>>> these are becoming part of the spec.?  Don't flame me
>>> or take this as a flame, I just really want to know
>>> why.
>>
>>In short, to codify common practice.
>
> Common practise by whom?

Oh, only popular browsers for the past five years or so - eternity in
internet time.

> Adding those color names means:
>
>   * Incompatibility with CSS Level 2

how? merely adding values to a property is simply extending a property.

>   * Break with the WCAG 1.0 CSS Techs, which deprecates the use of color
>     names in favour of RGB values

Please provide a fragment reference to a REC and I'll happily include a
pointer to it.

> Even the selection doesn't seem to be very good

When you codify common practice, there isn't explicit selection involved.

> I'd like to see those colors removed from the module;

There have been many requests for them to be standardized somewhere (by
W3C).  It is likely that the CSS3 Color Module will have at least one
profile which doesn't include those colors.

Thanks,

Tantek