Re: New Working Draft published: CSS3 module: Color

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>>> Regarding the X11 color keywords, I have to ask why
>>> these are becoming part of the spec.?
>>
>> In short, to codify common practice.
>
> Common practise by whom?

Have you never seen users say

   p { color: orange; }

...?

The color 'orange' is supported by UAs because they support the X11
colours and 'orange' is one of those.

> Adding those color names means:
>
>   * Incompatibility with CSS Level 2

In practice these colours have been supported anyway, so this point is
moot unless you are aware of a fully CSS2 compliant browser (or even a
fully CSS1 compliant browser).

>   * Break with the WCAG 1.0 CSS Techs, which deprecates the use of color
>     names in favour of RGB values

Since color names are *exactly equivalent* to RGB values (each name is
given an exact RGB equivalent, e.g. 'red' is the same as 'rgb(255,0,0)'),
I am not sure I understand the reasoning behind this technique.

>   * Bloating the module

A fair comment.

> I'd like to see those colors removed from the module; I don't see that
> using them is 'common practise' and this won't be a good argument to
> include them.

I do not disagree.

We want to support 'color:orange', though, because authors are already
using it, and UAs are already implementing it. What subset of colours
would you suggest we use instead?

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
Netscape, Standards Compliance QA              /. `- '  (  `--'