Re: Token question

At 12:24 03/03/2001 +0100, Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:
>On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:41:49 +0100, glazman@netscape.com (Daniel
>Glazman) wrote:
>>This brings to my mind a DOM issue related to comments : they are not
>>preserved by DOM level 2, which is a terrible thing from an author's
>>perspective.
>
>It should be noted that SGML says that comments in markup can never
>contain normative information and that they shall be dropped in the
>parsing process, and if so, a source code comment can not/shall not be
>used for anything but "stating notes in a source".

Yes they can never contain normative information, otherwise they wouldn't
be comments, it's pretty circular. However, they may, and in fact often
contain informative information (no pun intented) which one may want to
use, through the DOM or other. For instance, a translator between a
stylesheet language and another may want to include the original comments
in the target sheet. There are many other such situations. Just throwing
away information for no good reason is usually a bad idea.

-- robin b.
Earth is a beta site.