Re: Positioning problem

From: ValerieGSharp <ValerieGSharp@netscapeonline.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 10:25:00 +0000
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
ValerieGSharp wrote:

> In CSS2 I seem to be missing a way of positioning an element after the
> end of a box that's been taken out of normal flow.

<snip>

Well, that's an interesting point you've raised.

I think giving a second meaning to the 'static-position' value is not a
good idea.

I can think of two possible alternatives that might be more suitable:

Either - allow floats to take box offset properties; they could then
overlay one another for instance, the 'clear' property then being used
for the following element. This would make float a particularly powerful
property for layout.

Or - Introduce an 'all' value for the 'clear' property; 'clear:all'
would go to the end of everything so far, as if to the end of the
document, and proceed anew. This seems a very clean solution.

--
Regards,
Val Sharp - Edinburgh