Re: text-indent/exdent (was "suggestion")

From: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-style-0003@earth.li>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 13:07:27 +0000 (UTC)
To: <www-style@w3.org>
At 2001-07-07T20:44-0500, fantasai wrote:-

> text-block-indent is inside the border, so it can't be
> equivalent to margin-left. It is not equivalent to
> padding-left because
>
>   a) As I said, "Indentation is always on the starting
>      side of the text. (left for ltr, right for rtl)"
>      whereas padding is given an absolute side. Using
>      padding-left for indentation causes problems with
>      rtl scripts.

Aha. This is a very good point. I think there is an argument here for
some, if not all, left/right/top/bottom properties to be complemented by
start/end/before/after versions,  la XSL. Borders and box offsets are
certainly candidates, IMO. Similarly, this is probably also relevant for
properties such as float, clear, width/height, etc.

(Following some careful thought, I am also convinced on the remaining
points, but have nothing to add.)

Tim Bagot