Re: links can not be spanned ?

From: Beth Skwarecki <skwareea@screech.cs.alfred.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:11:18 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
>    A.special:link {
>     COLOR: orange; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
>    FONT-SIZE: 8pt;
>    }

You can only specify styles for classes that exist! If you've got a <span
class="special"> and an <a href="#"> with no class, you can specify styles
for SPAN.special but you have no A.special, only A .

What you want to do is specify a style for when A is nested inside of
SPAN.special :

SPAN.special A {
/* styles go here */
}