RE: Make Microsoft follow the spec.

From: Zoltan Hawryluk <zoltan@netcom.ca>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 10:40:09 -0500
To: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>

Hmmm ... Interesting statement.

My $0.02 on this:

Why are you relying on your browser to force you to write good code?  IMHO,
a standard states how the code should be written to do a specific task, not
what happens if a person writes code badly.

As a developer myself, if I want to make sure I write good HTML, I use a
validator or HTML Tidy ... these are tools designed to be used to check
code.  I don't think a browser should be that tool.  It will make the
browser more bloated than it already is - and a browser isn't a debugger.

Don't get me wrong ... following the spec for HTML, CSS, etc is very
important for browser manufacturers to do ... but a browser developer can't
be held responsible for what happens if code given to the browser is bad -
the spec doesn't say "the browser should do this if this bad code is given".

You give garbage in, you get garbage out.