RE: Make Microsoft follow the spec.

From: Chris Basken <chriz@basken.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:07:35 -0500
To: <www-style@w3.org>
> As a developer myself, if I want to make sure I write good HTML, I use a
> validator or HTML Tidy ... these are tools designed to be used to check
> code.  I don't think a browser should be that tool.  It will make the
> browser more bloated than it already is - and a browser isn't a
> debugger.

but wouldn't that make the browser *less* bloated?  after all, it's simpler
to write code that looks for a specific result and returns an exception if
it doesn't find it, than it is to write code that looks for a specific
result and then runs through a list of assumtions about what the author
intended, and then -- only if none of those assumptions seems to work --
throw an exception.

not to mention faster  and more consistent.

p.s. i'm not really following this whole thread, but i caught this and
wanted to comment on it.