Re: clarification needed : Computed Style Value of 'font-family'

From: Dylan Schiemann <dylans@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 07:13:44 -0700 (PDT)
To: Daniel Glazman <glazman@netscape.com>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org, www-style@w3.org

--- Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
> * Daniel Glazman wrote on www-dom@w3.org:
> >Let's suppose that the following CSS style
> declaration applies to a
> >given element :
> >
> >  font-family : Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif
> >
> >What is the computed style value for 'font-family'
> on this element,
> >supposing that Helvetica font is not available on
> the system but Arial is ?
> >
> >(a) "Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"
> >(b) "Arial"
> >(c) "Arial, sans-serif
>
> I'd say a). Font-family names aren't relative to
> another value, so they
> are absolute and the computed value of an absolute
> value is equivalent
> to the specified value, see [1]
>
>  [1]

http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/cascade.html#computed-value

(b) is certainly more useful to a client-side web
developer.  (a) is redundant with the information
which can be found by accesing the rules of the style
sheets, but there is no easy way to find out (b),
which represents what the user agent actually renders.

What should getComputedStyle return in ie5.0 (if it
was supported) for one of the border-style
declarations that is mapped to solid?  As far as I can
tell, the computedStyle would be the style declared,
even though the rendered style is solid.

-Dylan Schiemann
http://www.sitepen.com/
http://www.dylanschiemann.com/