Re: Block-level formatting and width in Netscape 6

From: Clover Andrew <aclover@1value.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:19:27 +0200
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Philip Hoyt <phoyt@mspect.com> wrote:

> it starts from 100% at the left edge of the div which means that
> the div would sit just outside the visible portion of the screen
> which is inconsistent with placing of background images

They're quite different cases, though: with background-position
you're setting the position of the entire background object, whereas
with 'left' you're setting the position of the left-hand edge of
the box object; you can set the right-hand edge or the width
independently.

The idea of percentages being relative to the available width
minus the width of the object being positioned might be similar to
background-positioning when background-repeat is turned off, but
it would be inconsistent with most of the rest of CSS.

> and quite useless as far as I am concerned.

That's entirely possible - I'm not sure what effect you're trying
to achieve. Personally I've met worse problems trying to design
layouts in CSS. :-(

--
Andrew Clover
Technical Consultant