Re: Ideas for the ACSS module of CSS3

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:24:17 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
Sean Palmer wrote:
 | fantasai wrote:
 | > Sean Palmer wrote:
 | >  | How do you suggest we specify altenative aural content in XHTML?
 | >
 | > Generally speaking, there is no need to put alternative content for
 | > pure text, ne?
 | I'm refering to grouped hypertext and other optional data that aural
 | browser users don't want to hear again and again.

I quoth:

 | Name: alt.
 | Provides an alternative content for User Agents to render if they find
 | the current content unrenderable.

This is to what I was referring.

You also wrote:

 | Can also be used in conunction with the 'skip' property to provide a
 | frag ID or URI to skip to when styled content is bypassed. <uri> (URI
 | for the alternative content), or 'none' (none).

To which I did not allude.

 | *This is a WAI-WCAG requirement*: as per: (for example)
 | http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/NOTE-WCAG10-HTML-TECHS-20000920/#group-bypass
 | "13.6 Group related links, identify the group (for user agents), and, until
 | user agents do so, provide a way to bypass the group. [Priority 3] "
 | We could/should do that with CSS!

Depends on how you do it, actually.

 | > As for images, they have alt, which replaces the image with text. Objects
 | > can have textual content that won't be rendered by UAs supporting the
 | > embedded media. And any future replaced elements should follow the same
 | > model of having a fallback.
 | You're missing the point here entirely: I'm using this to replace navbars,
 | and other content in the DOM styled as optional. That's a valid WAI use that
 | isn't currently implementable in XHTML. It should be required that we have
 | it in CSS(3).

As for missing the point, see above.
As for this use not currently implementable in XHTML, see

What do you want to replace the content with, though? Would you give me an
example? I'm not entirely sure I understand the (second) purpose of this 'alt'.

 | > So, as far as I can see, there is already alternative content available
 | > for that which is unrenderable by the aural browser. Am I missing
 | > something?
 | If you are refering to the 'content' property, I am suggesting we have an
 | explicit 'alt' property as well.

I am referring to the ability of (X)HTML to specify its own alternate content
for unrenderable media.

 | >  | It's a style concern.
 | > How so? You're replacing content, not specifying how to style what's
 | > there!
 | So explain the CSS content: property then! If that's a style, then so is
 | this...

em:before, em:after {content: '/'}

This sentence contains an /emphasized/ word.