Re: New version of the Selectors module of CSS3

From: Jonas Sicking <sicking@bigfoot.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 23:23:25 +0200
To: "Bjoern Hoehrmann" <derhoermi@gmx.net>, <www-style@w3.org>
Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> | 5. entities
> | If I have a XML file containing unresolved entities it could be really
> | useful to be able to style those.

> No problem. Wrap them in an inline element.

I don't want to adjust my XML for display. The usecase is:
I have an XML file containg some data. The markup is not designed for
display but rather for the data it contains. To be able to display the data
I want to use CSS. The markup contains some entities that have special
meanings, such as &null; could mean that data is not availible, &error;
means datacalculation resulted in an error.
Lets say I have the following XML file:
<person>
  <name>Mr Foo</name>
  <age>&null;</age>
  <income>&error;</income>
</person>

I could use this CSS

:root { font-family: sans-serif }
person {display: block; padding: 2em; border-bottom: 2px solid black}
name { font-size: 200%; text-decoration: underline; display: block; margin
1em;}
age,income { display: block; }
&null; { content: 'Data not avalible'; color: gray }
&error; { content: 'Error'; background: red }

Maybe I'm just not using entities correctly. This might not at all be the
purpos they were designed for.

/ Jonas Sicking