Re: What's the use of visibility: collapse on table rows?

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Matthew Brealey wrote:
>
> > Invisible rows:
> >
> > Given that visibility is inherited and therefore that TR {visibility:
> > hidden} will hide its descendant table cells, why does the spec cite
> > visibility: collapse as useful in the context of table rows?
>
> My reading of this is that 'collapse' will actually have the same effect
> as 'display:none', whereas 'hidden' will leave a blank area where the row
> would have been.

Possibly; however, I don't see how treating it as display: none is
consistent with 'This allows dynamic effects to remove table rows or
columns without forcing a re-layout of the table in order to account for
the potential change in column constraints.', since if the row is being
display: noned, then the table must be reflowed. It's a pity Opera 4
doesn't support it, so then we could see what it's meant to mean from