Re: What is a letter?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:21:22 +0200, Vincent Lefevre
<vincent+www@vinc17.org> wrote:

>In article <p7sbns0ap8uvhgl93g6m2qlmr8ff16p5in@4ax.com>,
>   Jan Roland Eriksson <jrexon@newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> Section 9.1 in the HTML4.01 spec has this...
>
>>   "In order to avoid problems with SGML line break rules and
>>    inconsistencies among extant implementations, authors should
>>    not rely on user agents to render white space immediately
>>    after a start tag or immediately before an end tag..."
>
>> Now, is a non-break-space regarded as white space?
>
>Have you read Section 9.1? :)

Oh yes :)

...that one, and most experimental ancient HTML, RFC1866, HTML3.2 and
HTML4.x several times (plus quite a bit of serious SGML studies too)

And I have been on-line long enough to have seen the issue of &nbsp;
beaten to death several times without a definite solution presented yet.

If you, or any one else, happen to have the definitive info on when and
where the &nbsp; versus white space issue was settled, I'm all ears,
I may have missed it.

The interesting part here would be to find out when (and how) the
non-break space was promoted to be a character instead of a space.

Until that issue is finally resolved once and for all, the HTML4.01
snips...
  "SGML line break rules..." and "authors should not rely on..."
...stands as written...

--
Jan Roland Eriksson <jrexon@newsguy.com>
<URL:http://member.newsguy.com/%7Ejrexon/>