Re: What is a letter?

From: Jan Roland Eriksson <jrexon@newsguy.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 20:20:51 +0200
To: webmaster@richinstyle.com
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:01:55 +0100, Matthew Brealey
<webmaster@richinstyle.com> wrote:

[...]

>...I was trying to ascertain that MSIE 5.5 was wrong in its
>handling of :first-letter. In particular test 18 on this page:
>http://www.richinstyle.com/test/application/firstletter.html
>'This element has a non-breaking space as its first letter. Therefore
>the 'T' shouldn't be red.' (MSIE has the T red).

I don't have IE5.5 so I can't run the test, but I just want to know if
test 18 is all Ok in it self...

Section 9.1 in the HTML4.01 spec has this...

  "In order to avoid problems with SGML line break rules and
   inconsistencies among extant implementations, authors should
   not rely on user agents to render white space immediately
   after a start tag or immediately before an end tag..."

Now, is a non-break-space regarded as white space?
Do IE5.5 render it or remove it when rendering test 18?

In any case, is there a level of ambiguity here,
between test 18 and the HTML4.01 spec?
Or worse, between CSS2 and HTML4.01?

Don't be upset now any one, I'm just curious...

--
Jan Roland Eriksson <jrexon@newsguy.com>
<URL:http://member.newsguy.com/%7Ejrexon/>