Re: Relative positioning

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 01:44:16 +0000 (GMT)
To: firespring <firespring@nfx.net>
cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, firespring wrote:
> At the risk of being chastised for what might be perceived as a "how
> to" question, what I'm wondering is if there is any mechanism in CSS
> for positioning one element box relative to an absolutely positioned
> box of another element?

Not currently, so this is not off-topic...

> I mean, with absolute positioning, elements are positioned
> completely independently as if they have no knowledge of each other,
> and with relative positioning, elements are positioned only relative
> to the normal flow. This effectively means that the two types of
> positioning can't really be used together very well, and what seems
> to be missing is a mechanism for positioning one element relative to
> an absolutely positioned (and perhaps named) element, thereby
> avoiding potential overlap problems.

Can you give us a more concrete example?

> And while I'm writing, can any of the gurus at Netscape that might
> read this list tell me when or if your browser is ever going to get
> more up to speed with CSS? Your fans anxiously await you.

(I don't work at Netscape, but I do work for Mozilla, from whence the
next version of the Netscape browser is likely to appear, so I feel
about 50% qualified to answer this question...)

We're working on it. ;-)

You can see the current state of affairs in the latest test builds,
available from:

   http://www.mozilla.org/binaries.html

HTH,
--