Re: Units, font sizing, and zoom suggestion for CSS 3

From: Erik van der Poel <erik@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 22:44:04 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
[Sorry about the delayed reply...]

Ian Hickson wrote:

> So why not make CSS3's font-size take on an additional "flag", namely
> "ex-size" or something, which indicates that the font-size value is
> setting the height of the font-size and not the height of the
> em-square?
> [...]
> I haven't worked out how this interacts with font-size-adjust.

Not only would we need to figure out how this interacts with
font-size-adjust (shudder), I don't see what advantage ex-size would
have over font-size-adjust.

> Finally: I'm not sure I like this. It seems incredibly complicated if
> all we are trying to do is make sure that ex-heights are aligned...
> especially if that then makes something else look silly (like the
> width).

CSS2 says that font-size-adjust "tends to stabilize the horizontal
metrics of lines". Take a look at the 2 images in CSS2. You'll see the
horizontal effect.

Erik