Re: font-size and font-size-adjust

Erik van der Poel wrote:

> 1. Initial value of font-size-adjust. This should be the aspect value of
> the first available font in that element's font-family list. This value
> is inherited by child elements.

Just after sending the above suggestion, it occurred to me that some
might consider this an incompatible change. If the initial value of
font-size-adjust is changed to the first available font's aspect value,
then all font sizes in child elements will be adjusted, since
font-size-adjust is inherited.

Currently, font-size-adjust's initial value is none, so font sizes are
not adjusted by default.

I don't know how serious this incompatibility is, but if people are
against this change for that reason, then my next suggestion is to allow
a style sheet to specify that the first available font's aspect value be
taken. For example:

  BODY { font-family: Verdana; font-size-adjust: first-avail; }

This is just a suggestion. If hyphens are not allowed in property
values, then we should remove the hyphen. If people don't like the name,
please suggest a better one.

Erik