Re: Cursor: auto

From: Bert Bos <Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 11:47:29 +0100 (MET)
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Matthew Brealey writes:
> auto
> The UA determines the cursor to display based on the
> current context.
>
> This seems to say that the UA can use whatever cursor
> it likes, when it likes.

Sort of, yes.

> However, it is my belief that the whole of an element
> must be subject to a given style at once, and
> therefore that browsers (i.e., all of them) that only
> associate cursor: pointer [why wasn't it cursor:
> link?] with link text, rather than with its box, are
> buggy. Although this is my belief, the CSS spec both
> are silent on the matter, so clarification of the
> correct approach would be appreciated.

Well, we can't specify every last detail. If we would do that, either
the spec would be 2000 pages and completely unreadable, or we would
write the "spec" in C and be done with it.

There are lots of places where we leave things to the common sense of
the implementer or where we leave things unspecified because we don't
know (yet) what the best way is. In this case also I would like to see
implementers try out what the best way is. If user studies reveal that
certain styles of cursors are better than others we may recommend
those in the next spec.

If browsers don't do things the way you like: complain, because
otherwise nobody knows what should be improved.

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA