Cursor: auto

From: Matthew Brealey <thelawnet@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 06:35:14 -0800 (PST)
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
auto
The UA determines the cursor to display based on the
current context.

This seems to say that the UA can use whatever cursor
it likes, when it likes.

However, it is my belief that the whole of an element
must be subject to a given style at once, and
therefore that browsers (i.e., all of them) that only
associate cursor: pointer [why wasn't it cursor:
link?] with link text, rather than with its box, are
buggy. Although this is my belief, the CSS spec both
are silent on the matter, so clarification of the
correct approach would be appreciated.

=====