Shrinkwrap

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 14:31:57 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
There doesn't seem to be any way to shrink-wrap the width of a block
element; at least, I can't find any in the CSS2 spec.

Setting width and margins both to auto makes width=100% and
margins=0--which I think defeats the purpose of setting both the width
and margins to "auto". Is there any specific reason for this?

Currently it is possible to get a shrink-wrap effect with one-celled
tables. But this is incorrect use of tables, and the browser's table
layout is contrary to the CSS2 spec (unless, perchance, tables are
regarded as replaced elements?).

I looked through the mailing list archives; there seems to be a mention
of this problem here (at the very end)-
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1997Nov/0102.html - but
there were no replies.