Re: Horizontal rules

--- Allan Odgaard <Duff@DIKU.DK> wrote:
> Speaking of which, normally I ignore
> transparency
> masks for 'background-image', as the user rarely want a background
> transparent
> (atleast not for the root element) but is this correct?

Technically I think not; however, it seems necessary to adopt this
approach.

> May I suggest adding a keyword for the margin, as described earlier,
> i.e. one
> that says the margin should be the sum of the widths for the currently
> floating objects (to either or both sides) perhaps with the ability to
> add
> some extra units.  That way the user will be able to define the HR to
> look
> exactly as currently rendered by non CSS user agents -- which AFAIK is
> currently impossible to do with CSS.

It isn't necessary. Floating the element will do this (effectively make
the margin such as to be next to the float) anyway. This has the effect of
disrupting the flow, but by putting clear on the next element, the element
is effectively in the normal flow - the result is precisely the same as
setting the margin to that of the float.

The one caveat is that you do not know the height of the float, so it
could be necessary to float and clear several elements. However, by
floating and clearing each element, the effect is the same anyway - if an
element is floated and there is no float 'current', the effect will be
(apparently) normal flow.

There exists no situation where the behaviour you describe cannot be
achieved using float and clear.

=====