Re: What's an em

From: Jan Roland Eriksson <jrexon@newsguy.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:05:00 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:42:54 -0800, Matthew Brealey
<thelawnet@yahoo.com> wrote:

[...]

>This severely limits the utility of font-style: oblique because most
>people don't have oblique fonts,

They don't need to, there really is no such thing in practice.

We can have "oblique cuts" or an _oblique_presentation_ of just any font
(even italic type designs in fact) if the rendering system is up to do
that.

That is the real meaning of 'oblique' i.e. a slanted presentation of an
otherwise standard "upright" or "italic" type design.

>and for these people it would be useful to state that
>an italic one should be used instead; e.g., by the
>(backwards-incompatible) font-style: oblique, italic.

As I said, it's a piece of cake for any computerized renderer to present
any type design available on the system in an oblique way, no specific
fonts needs to be installed to do that.

A true presentation of an italic type design requires an italic font
defined from that design, to be installed on the system though.

--
Jan Roland Eriksson <jrexon@newsguy.com>
<URL:http://member.newsguy.com/%7Ejrexon/>