Re: monochrome

Michael Hamm writes:
> I think it would be good to have monochrome and color print and screen
> media. Just one example, off the top of my head:
>
> dfn{color:black;background-color:#ffa;font-style:normal}
> in the color-screen and color-print media and
> dfn{font-style:italic}
> in the monochrome-print and monoschrome-screen medium.
>
> Thoughts?

There is a W3C working group developing a system to express
device/medium profiles to arbitrary levels of detail. The system is
called CC/PP[1] and is based on RDF[2].

Since RDF (and thus CC/PP) is written in XML, it is not as
user-friendly as CSS. Nevertheless, the CSS WG currently leans towards
relying on it for anything that is more complicated than the 10
high-level media CSS defines currently.

The idea of CC/PP is that the device profiles are not written from
scratch every time, but that there is a small number (maybe provided
by the device manufacturers) that is referred to by URL over and over
again.

The minimal change to CSS to enable their use is probably the
inclusion of a URL after @media and @import (but we haven't talked
about syntax at all yet):

Current:

    @media print {...}