Re: Platform Independant Cursors

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2000 18:49:34 +0100
To: Chatragadda Sunil Kumar <csunil@cse.iitk.ac.in>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Chatragadda Sunil Kumar wrote:

> 1. Is there any platform independant mechanisms to implement new CSS3
>    cursors. I mean to ask they should work on Windows as well as unix
>    flavours.

This problem was faced by the SVG specification, and solved in the
following way. We use the CSS cursor property, which can take a URI. We
define a cursor element, which includes the x and y coordinates of the
cursor hotspot as attributes and points to a PNG file for the actual image.

Thus

cursor: uri(myfile.svg#foo)

<cursor id="foo" x="12" y="5" xlink:href="myimage.png"/>

In turn, all three of these attributes are declaratively animatable, using
SMIL Animation. Since all SVG processors are required to support JPEG and
PNG image formats, we then have a portable and cross-platform way to make
cursors for SVG, which is also completely compliant to the CSS2
specification.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/interact.html#Cursors

--
Chris