RE: What's an em

From: Karlsson Kent - keka <keka@im.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:47:28 +0100
To: www-font@w3.org
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Works nicely.  I've used it.  Though obviously not for the
x-height since that functionalit is not there (yet).

> >Whatever font substitutions
> >are done (keeping the asked-for x-heights to a reasonable degree), one
> >would still get a proper percieved size difference between the heading
> >and the body text.  Right? Or???
>
> Yes, great. What would the line-height be? For a clue on this

The line height should be (asked to be) the same as the (nominal) p
height for that font (&size), or slightly larger (as usual). Since the
ascenders (and descenders) are unusually tall in that typeface, some
ascender/descender overlap may still occur.  But is that not a *desired*
effect for *that font*? As it is for some other fonts as well (like
the example in http://style.metrius.com/junk/emtolineheight.gif),
where using the ""em"" height most certainly will produce (desired)
overlaps.

Note that I'm not claiming perfection for "unusual" typefaces
(I never did).

		Kind regards
		/kent k