RE: What's an em

From: Karlsson Kent - keka <keka@im.se>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 18:21:55 +0100
To: www-font@w3.org
Cc: www-style@w3.org

Unless you have a different concept of "ascender" than I think
it usually means, then the descender to ascender height is of
no particular interest.  It is the (nominal) descender to 'top
of first level accents on top of capital letters' (the p height)
that should be used as the recommended (minimal) baseline spacing.
Unless the ascenders are unusually high (which they are sometimes,
but only rarely) the descender to ascender height does not give
sufficient baseline separation to avoid (for 'everyday fonts')
for a 'p' on one line not to collide with an '', or an '' on
the next line.  For many languages one level of accents on top
of capital letters is common. (Accents on top of high ascenders
is uncommon, and are usually not displayed on top, but a bit to
the side. Multiple accents on top of capitals is uncommon, except
perhaps for Vietnamese.)

		Kind regards
		/kent k