From: Beth Skwarecki <skwareea@screech.cs.alfred.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 15:07:54 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

> SSI would lose you some performance, for no good reason in this case. Imho
> <link> is cleaner, better bandwidth-wise, and also has the advantage that
> it won't interfere with the validity of your (x)html code. With an external
> style sheet you don't have to escape < and friends.

The time it takes to insert an include is negligible, though I grant you
that it's existent.

The difference between <link> and an include, bandwidth-wise, is just about
zero. Actually, the include would save you one line.

SSI doesn't require the escaping of any characters, and won't interfere with
code validity at all. It's done with a tag that looks like a comment, and
the included file should also be written in valid html.

--beth