Vertical Align and Baseline / Eureka (or not)

From: ament <ament@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 1999 17:27:55 +0200
To: www-style@w3.org
Allright, here I am again.

I may understand the vertical aligning..

--Situation -----------

We have a piece of text split into different non-anonymous inline-boxes.
in HTML: Text is ni<VERYLARGEFONT>c</VERYLARGEFONT>e

--Theory --------------

Align the baseline of the each box with the baseline of the parent box
(10.8.1)
* The Box containg c is aligned to it's parent inline-box containg the
complete text: "Text is nice" [1]
  * The inline-box containg the complete text "Text is nice" has the
baseline calculated by it's font-properties (the properties count for
anonymous inlineboxes).[2]
* anonymous inline-boxes {"Text is ni","e"} are aligned to their own baseline.

--Question ------------

[1] makes sense, because when the "Text is nice" is being split onto
several lineboxes the baseline will also split.
Which is the only way to make the 'aligning to a baseline' for multiple
lineboxes possible.

Is the assuption [2] true?

please correct me when I'm wrong again (I probably am).

greetings,

Mark Ament