Rounded Corners

From: Cameron Newland <newland@rainierdesign.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 17:16:35 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Contrary to the Original intention of HTML (to show data with tables and
text), the web has shown that it craves pretty,
graphics-filled sites to beautify it's existence.  Maybe I'm just
newfangled; here's a recommendation for another beautifying attribute  of
CSS;

Over the last year or so, I've seen more and more sites popping up that
employ tables that have rounded corners (MSNBC, Register.com, etc.)  This is
always accomplished by positioning small (i.e. 10 x 10 pixel) GIFS aligned
to the bottom-right, bottom-left, top-right, and top-left corners of a
table.  Because it would be much easier if there were a CSS attribute to
control the type of corner, I propose the CSS property "corner-style".

There are many properties and attributes regarding borders of tables,
whether they're thick or thin, striped or solid; but no properties governing
the shape of the corners.  Personally, I don't think that this could be
easily achieved with SVG.

Comments would be appreciated.

Ciao,

-Cameron Newland