CSS3 suggestion: @level

From: Braden N. McDaniel <braden@shadow.net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 05:45:09 -0400
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Stop me if you've heard this one before.

Because of the interdependence inherent in many CSS properties, it is often
impossible to write a CSS level n style sheet that achieves the desired
effects and can be reliably used by a CSS level n-1 (let alone n-2, etc.)
UA. I think a "level" at-rule would alleviate this:

    @level 3 /* the argument is an integer >= 3 */
    {
        /* at-rules and rulesets applicable to the
        designated level go here */
    }

Conforming CSS1 and CSS2 UAs should ignore this altogether, since they don't
recognize @level. CSS3 and subsequent UAs can choose whether or not to
ignore the block based on the value of the integer argument.

Braden N. McDaniel
braden@endoframe.com
<URI:http://www.endoframe.com>