Re: CSS3 suggestion: @level

From: Nicolas Lesbats <nlesbats@etu.utc.fr>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 20:21:52 +0200 (MET DST)
To: "Braden N. McDaniel" <braden@endoframe.com>
cc: www-style@w3.org
On Mon, 31 May 1999, Braden N. McDaniel wrote:

| Because of the interdependence inherent in many CSS properties, it is often
| impossible to write a CSS level n style sheet that achieves the desired
| effects and can be reliably used by a CSS level n-1 (let alone n-2, etc.)
| UA. I think a "level" at-rule would alleviate this:
|
|     @level 3 /* the argument is an integer >= 3 */
|     {
|         /* at-rules and rulesets applicable to the
|         designated level go here */
|     }
|
| Conforming CSS1 and CSS2 UAs should ignore this altogether, since they don't
| recognize @level. CSS3 and subsequent UAs can choose whether or not to
| ignore the block based on the value of the integer argument.

I see a problem : a UA is never entirely conformant to a specific level of
CSS, so even a UA that recognizes CSS 3.0 may format a page in a way that
you don`t expect.

A proposition for CSS 3.0 is to give a mechanism that allows to know if a
property has been applied or not. If not, another value or property could
be applied.

I don`t know if this feature would be sufficient to you...

			Nico

--
Nicolas Lesbats - nlesbats@etu.utc.fr
85 r. Carnot 60200 Compiegne - France