Re: Another Mac IE 4.5/5.0 difference

From: Todd Fahrner <todd@verso.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 11:34:08 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Jeff@Ratliff.com" <jeff@ratliff.com>, "www-style" <www-style@w3.org>
> This stylesheet specification:
>
> body
>
>  margin: 1em 3em 1em 0em;
> }
>
> causes IE 4.5 to display a horizontal scroll bar on a page that has a
> paragraph of wrapping text. IE 5.0 does not display this scroll bar.
>
> If the 3em right margin is set to 0, the scroll bar in IE 4.5 disappears.

I think this is a MacIE4.5 bug. A workaround that's arguably more in line
with the box model anyway:

    body { padding: 1em 3em 1em 0em; }

Unfortunately, however, at least one major implementation won't accept em
units on the horizontal here (forget which). Something like this gives more
reliable results:

    body { padding: 1em 10% 1em 0; }

> I realize that this difference came to my attention because I set body
> margins and I remember the implication that one should refrain from doing
> that if possible.

Where did you hear that? Seems harmless to me.

Todd Fahrner                    The printed page transcends space and time.
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com        The printed page, the infinitude of books,
http://style.verso.com/         must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.
                                                   - El Lissitzky, 1923