Re: XHTML, attribute minimization, and deployed UAs

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 19:08:10 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org, www-html@w3.org
[sorry for the acccidental cross-posting - followups to www-html, please]

In www-style, Susan Lesch wrote:

>> and in my testing with today's browsers, this syntax fails to
>> deliver the hoped-for results. I've tried adding whitespace in
>> various places (a la <br />) without success.
>
> What browsers are giving trouble? When I tested [1] for HTML 4.0 and
> well-formed XML a year ago April (with no whitespace as I recall),
> curiously I found no problems, including MacLynx 2.7.1b1, Cyberdog 2, MSIE
> 3,4, and Netscape 2,3,4 (all Mac).

I have confirmed that this test fails in all 4.x releases of MSIE for Mac
(4.0, 4.01, 4.5):

http://style.verso.com/junk/longform.html

I have also confirmed that it WORKS in several flavors of Netscape (incl
Mozilla 5.0a) and in WinIE5.