Re: XHTML, attribute minimization, and deployed UAs

From: Susan Lesch <lesch@macvirus.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 18:22:01 -0700
To: www-style@w3.org
Todd Fahrner wrote:

> and in my testing with today's browsers, this syntax fails to
> deliver the hoped-for results. I've tried adding whitespace in
> various places (a la <br />) without success.

What browsers are giving trouble? When I tested [1] for HTML 4.0 and
well-formed XML a year ago April (with no whitespace as I recall),
curiously I found no problems, including MacLynx 2.7.1b1, Cyberdog 2, MSIE
3,4, and Netscape 2,3,4 (all Mac). The more general problem of no boolean
datatype in SGML is over my head, but it was brought up [2] in 1996 and is
unlikely to be fixed.

[1] http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=343277920
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-sgml-wg/1996Sep/0122.html