Problem with OBJECT rendering

From: Firespring <firespring@nfx.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 16:12:01 -0500
To: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Greetings,

I wondered if someone could tell me if there is some problem with browsers
rendering the <OBJECT> tag in HTML 4.0? I've just started trying to use it
in place of the IMG tag as per the examples in the HTML 4.0 spec, and no
variation I've tried will cause the browser to display an image. The text
that is supposed to be rendered if the image CAN'T be rendered DOES display.
I expect I'm just doing something wrong, but I'll be darned if I can figure
out what. Help would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, as a newbie to CSS, is there anything in CSS that
might make the use of the <OBJECT> tag obsolete?

Thanks,

Rick Johnson
firespring@nfx.net