forwarded message from Paul Brazelton

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 10:22:02 +0100 (MET)
To: www-style@w3.org

attached mail follows:

This is probably off-topic, and I encourage y'all to flame me, but I've been
curious about something...

Do other countries honor US patent law?  What's to stop non-US companies from
cheerfully violating what is essentially a US-specific regulation?  On the same
thread, why is a US company in charge of all domains world-wide?

It just seems that discussion of the Internet is always centered on the US and
its policies.

--
Regards,

Paul Brazelton