min-font-size

From: George Lund <george@lundboox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 18:49:00 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
I'd like to propose a new property called min-font-size.  Max-font-size
could be useful (though less so) as well.

The main use would be for users to specify that authors could vary the
font-size within certain parameters only.

I think it might be most useful if it were to relate to the font-size of
the element on which it is applied, rather than the parent.

For example, a user style sheet with
BODY { font-size: 18pt; min-font-size: 90% }
would specify that nothing in the body could vary the font-size to less
than 90% of 18pt. So <SMALL style="font-size: 0.7em">blah</SMALL> in a
document would still be readable to that person. (Assuming no other
elements had min-font-size set).

min/max-font-size would take the same values as the font-size property.
The setting would cascade, but not inherit, i.e. the relation will
always be with the font-size of the original element.

Min and max of other properties like margin and padding would be useful
too (for totally different reasons).

--
George Lund