Re: The Meaning of line-height

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:45:35 +0000 (BST)
To: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

On Sun, 10 Jan 1999, L. David Baron wrote:
> The definition of line-height in the spec has some problems. [...]
> In section 10.8.1 of CSS2 [...] I think the rule should be the
> following:
>   If the property is set on a block-level element whose content is
>   composed of inline-level elements, it specifies the line-height of
>   an anonymous inline box that contains all of the contents (in the
>   normal flow) of the block-level element.  This anonymous box also
>   has the font properties of the block-level element, so all other
>   inline boxes are vertically aligned within it.

The above makes the spec much closer to the 'intuitive' expectations.

Note. The rule in CSS1 also needs some work. The first paragraph of
5.4.8, 'line-height', of CSS1, says:
   The property sets the distance between two adjacent lines' baselines.
This is wrong (except in the very simple case of homogenous formatting
throughout both line boxes). I suggest that this paragraph be ammended
as follows:

   In the simplest case, the 'line-height' property sets the distance
   between two adjacent lines' baselines.
...and that the final paragraph of that section ("See the section 4.4
for a description on how 'line-height' influences the formatting of a
block-level element.") be moved up to the top of that section.

So... when can we expect CSS1 Revised Edition II? ;-)

Ian Hickson