Named Styles

From: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 14:30:53 -0400
To: <www-style@w3.org>
> The www-style past suggestions list has been updated ...

>    http://www.bath.ac.uk/%7Epy8ieh/internet/wwwstyle.html

Great page, Ian!

I would like to contribute one suggestion: named styles -- just like in MS Word,
Pagemaker, etc.

In HTML 4, we can use CLASS (or ID) attributes.  However, those imply semantics.
But with something like

we're obviously interested in stylistic effect, not using the class for
semantics.

If, however, we do somthing like

	@name(pretty)

		font: 117% italic foofoo, fantasy;
		/* umpteen other styles omitted */
	}

then

the intention is obvious.

I'm not sure how this would apply to XML (I'm not even sure it's intended that
XML have inline styles  -- indeed, how would such a thing even work?).  But even
in the XML world, inside linked stylesheets you could "inherit" them:

	@name(outlandish) { @named(pretty); @named(humongous); }

The concept of named styles, with all the word processors and other apps using
them, seems so obvious  that I'm sure it's been discussed before.  ???

/Jelks