Re: Language (in)dependent hyphenation properties

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 22:16:03 -0500 (EST)
To: www-international@w3.org, www-style@w3.org
For German, it is not an acceptable fall back to insert spaces between
letters for a narrow column. A significant portion of readers will
understand this to be *emphasized* text. This is true, even though this
form of emphasis is based on usage in Fraktur and typewritten style. It's
common enough still to affect the reader's perception.

A./