RE: Embedding fonts

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 17:37:56 -0700
To: Chris Wilson <cwilso@MICROSOFT.com>, www-style@w3.org
Cc: www-font@w3.org
Chris Wilson wrote (3:00 PM -0700 5/11/98):

" >Technical and political issues aside (and there are many), I like TrueDoc
" >better [snip]

" Todd, you fail to mention two of the main drawbacks of the TrueDoc format -

See text before snip. Yes, there are lots of arguments, pro and con, for
both formats. I don't pretend to have represented all of them, nor is my
own mind entirely made up.

" >Unfortunately, Netscape (the TrueDoc implementor) doesn't implement enough
" >CSS to let you embed fonts through CSS. You still have to muck around in
" >the HTML, against the recommendations of the HTML 4.0 Specification.
" Is this really against the recommendation of the HTML4 spec?  It's a bit of
" a hack, to be sure, but they just use a META tag, which I don't think is
" very strenuously defined in HTML 4.0.

They use LINK with the invalid SRC attribute. This is trivial IMO, but the
point remains that you can't manage the presentational aspects of a
document without write access to it - beyond a stylesheet link - which I
take to be the CSS ideal. I see these more as problems with Netscape's CSS
support than with TrueDoc per se, but from a practical POV they're the same
" You can, in fact, specify a list of different formats in the CSS @font-face
" rules for the UA to select.  Even so, though, the designer would need to
" create two copies of the font (one as Embedded OpenType, one as TrueDoc),
" presuming you didn't want to insert the TrueDoc ActiveX control in your
" pages.  If you're going to build two copies of the font anyway, you can use
" the CSS2 syntax IE4 uses for the EOT file, and the META syntax Nav uses -
" neither will interfere with each other.

This is news to me, too, and very welcome. Thanks.

Todd Fahrner

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.
	- El Lissitzky, 1923